Thursday, May 10, 2007



This is the print-on-demand reprint of the original 1982 hardcover book. I can't find a copy of the cloth edition in New York City; the only one that exists seems to be in the Berg Collection at the main New York Public Library at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, and it's not available to the public. It's there because the book was dedicated to my friend Dr. Lola Szladits, who was the curator of the Berg Collection back in the 1970s and 1980s. I met her when we were seated next to each other at a 1978 National Arts Club dinner in honor of Saul Bellow at which he was given the Medal for Literature and at which John Cheever and Bernard Malamud spoke. That dinner is one I write about in the last piece in the book, "Diarrhea of a Writer." Sometime in the late 1980s, the Berg Collection had an exhibit on books inscribed to their dedicatees, and the last item in the exhibit was my copy of Lincoln's Doctor's Dog which I had inscribed to Lola. I will try to locate a copy of the hardcover book with the original black dustcover; it had a drawing in white ink of Lincoln, a doctor, and a dog.

No comments: